Effective date: May 24, 2018
I. What kinds of information do we collect?
To provide Raters Products, we must process information about you. The types of information we collect depend on how you use our Products. You can learn how to access and delete information we collect by emailing us at email@example.com.
Things you and others do and provide
- Information and content you provide. We collect the content, communications and other information you provide when you use our Products, including when you sign up for an account, create or share content, and communicate with others. This can include information in or about the content you provide (like metadata). Our systems automatically process content and communications you and others provide to analyze context and what’s in them.
- Data with special protections: We do not currently collect any data that is subject to special protections under EU law (such as religious views, political views, who you are “interested in,” your health, racial or ethnic origin, philosophical beliefs or trade union membership).
- Authentication Information. We collect information that is necessary to authenticate the user, prevent fraud and implement security measures to allow you to log in from different devices while protecting your account from unauthorized use. An example of information includes your email, name and user ID.
- Networks and connections .We collect information about the people and accounts you are connected to and how you interact with them across our Products, such as people you communicate with the most and movies you rate.
- Your usage. We collect information about how you use our Products, such as the types of content you view or engage with; the features you use; the actions you take; the people or accounts you interact with; and the time, frequency and duration of your activities. For example, we log when you’re using and have last used our Products, and what posts, pages, accounts and other content you view on our Products.
- Things others do and information they provide about you. We also receive and analyze content, communications and information that other people provide when they use our Products. This can include information about you, such as when others like or comment on your posts.
As described below, we collect information from and about the computers, phones, and other web-connected devices you use that integrate with our Products, and we combine this information across different devices you use. For example, we use information collected about your use of our Products on your phone to better personalize the content or features you see when you use our Products on another device.
Information we obtain from these devices includes:
- Device attributes: information such as the operating system, hardware and software versions, and browser type.
- Device operations: information about operations and behaviors performed on the device
- Identifiers: unique identifiers, device IDs, and other identifiers.
- Cookie data: data from cookies stored on your device, including cookie IDs and settings.
II. How do we use this information?
We use the information we have (subject to choices you make) as described below and to provide and support the Raters Products described in the Raters Terms and Conditions. Here’s how:
Provide, personalize and improve our Products.
We use the information we have to deliver our Products, including to personalize features and content (including your Timeline and Trending page) and make suggestions for you (such as movies you may be interested in or people you may want to follow) on and off our Products. To create personalized Products that are unique and relevant to you, we use your connections, preferences, interests and activities based on the data we collect and learn from you and others (including any data you choose to provide where you have given your explicit consent); how you use and interact with our Products; and the people, places, or things you’re connected to and interested in on and off our Products. Learn more about how we use information about you to personalize your Raters experience, including features, content and recommendations in Facebook Products by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Location-related information:We use location-related information-such as your current location, and the businesses and people you’re near-to provide, personalize and improve our Products for you and others. Location-related information can be based on things like precise device location (if you’ve allowed us to collect it), IP addresses, and information from your and others’ use of Raters Products (such as movie posts).
- Product research and development:We use the information we have to develop, test and improve our Products, including by conducting surveys and research, and testing and troubleshooting new products and features.
Promote safety, integrity and security.
We use the information we have to verify accounts and activity, combat harmful conduct, detect and prevent spam and other bad experiences, maintain the integrity of our Products, and promote safety and security on and off of Raters Products. For example, we use data we have to investigate suspicious activity or violations of our terms or policies, or to detect when someone needs help. To learn more, contact us at email@example.com
Communicate with you.
We use the information we have to send you marketing communications, communicate with you about our Products, and let you know about our policies and terms. We also use your information to respond to you when you contact us.
III. How is this information shared?
Your information is shared with others in the following ways:
Sharing on Raters Products
People and accounts you share and communicate with
Public information can be seen by anyone, on or off our Products, including if they don’t have an account. This includes your Raters username, movie lists and reviews; any information you share with a public audience; information in your profile on Raters; and content you share on Raters. You, other people using Raters, and we can provide access to or send public information to anyone on or off our Products, including search results, or through tools and APIs. Public information can also be seen, accessed, reshared or downloaded through third-party services such as search engines, APIs, and offline media such as TV, and by apps, websites and other services that integrate with our Products.
Learn more about what information is public and how to control your visibility by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Content others share or reshare about you
People who can see your activity on our Products can choose to share it with others on and off our Products, including people and businesses outside the audience you shared with. For example, when you share a post, other users can download, screenshot, or reshare that content to others across or off our Products, in person or in virtual reality experiences. Also, when you like or comment on someone else’s post, your like or comment is visible to anyone who can see the other person’s content, and that person can change the audience later.
People can also use our Products to create and share content about you with the audience they choose. For example, people can mention or tag you at a location in a post, or share information about you in their posts or comments. If you are uncomfortable with what others have shared about you on our Products, you can report the content to email@example.com.
Information about your active status or presence on our Products.
People in your networks can see signals telling them whether you are active on our Products, including whether you are currently active on Raters, or when you last used our Products.
Apps, websites, and third-party integrations on or using our Products.
When you choose to use third-party apps, websites, or other services that use, or are integrated with, our Products, they can receive information about what you post or share. For example, when you share your Raters post on Facebook, Facebook can see your post.
If the ownership or control of all or part of our Products or their assets changes, we may transfer your information to the new owner.
Sharing with Third-Party Partners
We work with third-party partners who help us provide and improve our Products or who use Raters to grow their businesses, which makes it possible to operate our companies and provide free services to people around the world. We don’t sell any of your information to anyone, and we never will. We also impose strict restrictions on how our partners can use and disclose the data we provide.
We share information about you with companies that aggregate it to provide analytics and measurement reports to us and our partners.
Partners offering goods and services in our Products.
When you subscribe to receive premium content, or buy something from a seller in our Products, the content creator or seller can receive your public information and other information you share with them, as well as the information needed to complete the transaction, including shipping and contact details.
Vendors and service providers.
We provide information and content to vendors and service providers who support our business, such as by providing technical infrastructure services, analyzing how our Products are used, providing customer service, facilitating payments or conducting surveys.
Researchers and academics.
We also provide information and content to research partners and academics to conduct research that advances scholarship and innovation that support our business or mission, and enhances discovery and innovation on topics of general social welfare, technological advancement, public interest, health and well-being.
Law enforcement or legal requests
We share information with law enforcement or in response to legal requests in the circumstances outlined below.
Learn more about how you can control the information about you that you or others share with third-party partners by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IV. What is our legal basis for processing data?
We collect, use and share the data that we have in the ways described above:
- consistent with your consent, which you may revoke at any time by contacting us at email@example.com
- as necessary to comply with our legal obligations
- to protect your vital interests, or those of others;
- as necessary in the public interest; and
- as necessary for our (or others’) legitimate interests, including our interests in providing an innovative, personalized, safe, and profitable service to our users and partners, unless those interests are overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms that require protection of personal data.
V. How can you exercise your rights provided under the GDPR?
Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the right to access, rectify, port and erase your data. You also have the right to object to and restrict certain processing of your data. This includes:
- the right to object to our processing of your data for direct marketing, which you can exercise by using the “unsubscribe” link in such marketing communications; and
- the right to object to our processing of your data where we are performing a task in the public interest or pursuing our legitimate interests or those of a third party. You can exercise this right by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VI. Data retention and account deletion
We store data until it is no longer necessary to provide our services and Raters Products, or until your account is deleted – whichever comes first. This is a case-by-case determination that depends on things like the nature of the data, why it is collected and processed, and relevant legal or operational retention needs.
When you delete your account, we delete things you have posted, such as your ratings and reviews, and you won’t be able to recover that information later. Information that others have shared about you isn’t part of your account and won’t be deleted. To delete your account at any time, please contact us at email@example.com.
VII. How do we respond to legal requests or prevent harm?
We access, preserve and share your information with regulators, law enforcement or others:
- In response to a legal request, if we have a good-faith belief that the law requires us to do so. We can also respond to legal requests when we have a good-faith belief that the response is required by law in that jurisdiction, affects users in that jurisdiction, and is consistent with internationally recognized standards.
- When we have a good-faith belief it is necessary to: detect, prevent and address fraud, unauthorized use of the Products, violations of our terms or policies, or other harmful or illegal activity; to protect ourselves (including our rights, property or Products), you or others, including as part of investigations or regulatory inquiries; or to prevent death or imminent bodily harm. For example, if relevant, we provide information to and receive information from third-party partners about the reliability of your account to prevent fraud, abuse and other harmful activity on and off our Products.Information we receive about you can be accessed and preserved for an extended period when it is the subject of a legal request or obligation, governmental investigation, or investigations of possible violations of our terms or policies, or otherwise to prevent harm. We also retain information from accounts disabled for terms violations for at least a year to prevent repeat abuse or other term violations.
VIII. How do we operate and transfer data as part of our global services?
We share information globally, both internally and externally with our partners and with those you connect and share with around the world in accordance with this policy. Information controlled by Raters is stored and processed on servers of Amazon.
IX. How will we notify you of changes to this policy?
We’ll notify you before we make changes to this policy and give you the opportunity to review the revised policy before you choose to continue using our Products.
X. How to contact Raters with questions
If you have questions about this policy, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may resolve disputes you have with us in connection with our privacy policies and practices.